Facebook rolled out lookalike audiences last year year. The tool is very powerful but it can also generate irrelevant traffic if not well handled.
A good moment to use lookalike audiences is when you saturate your most direct sales channels and need to generate additional sales.
Here are 4 lookalike audiences you need to create to keep your traffic relevant and maximize the chances to generate additional sales via Facebook:
1) Lookalikes for Website Visitors
Facebook allows to create Website Custom Audiences. You will be able to install a remarketing pixel on your website and create an audience of users to use on Facebook. You can then create lookalike audiences of users with similar features to the ones visiting your site.
Advantages of this audience are:
- No need to advertise to an extremely general audience. You can be more targeted and focus on users that are similar to the ones you already “know”
- The CPC is lower than search engine traffic. If your new audience turns out to be a good one, you will be generating more leads and saving on the cost per lead
2) Lookalikes for Conversion Pixels
Facebook also allows marketers to create Lookalike Audiences based on the data you collect from Conversion Pixels. In a few words, you will be able to find users that are similar to the ones that have bought your products.
This is a very good audience to work with since it is based on conversion data and not only website visitors data.
The main advantage of lookalike audiences based on a conversion pixel is that you are targeting customer profiles that are known to be buyers on your website. Test them out and see if they perform well for you!
3) Lookalikes for Pages
Marketers can also create lookalike audiences based on the profiles of people liking your page. This audience is useful if you are looking for more page engagement. Additionally, if your page users are active buyers, it will increase your chances of converting.
The main advantage of this lookalike audience is the fact that you are likely to target users that are likely to engage with your Facebook page, which could help in getting more visibility for your brand.
4) Lookalikes for Mobile App Users
You can finally create a lookalike audience of people that make use of your mobile apps. The advantage of this audience is that you can easily find additional users for your apps based on people that are actually using it right now!
How to Create the New Lookalike Audiences
1. Click the Ad Tools drop-down menu at the upper right-hand corner of Power Editor and choose “Audiences.”
2. Click the Create Audience drop-down at the top left-hand side and choose “Lookalike Audience.”
3. In the “Source” text box, you can choose a page that you manage, a Custom Audience together with a Website Custom Audience, Mobile App Custom Audience or Conversion Pixel.
4. Afterward you have to choose a country. Keep in mind that you can just generate one Lookalike Audience for every country at a time. However you can make as many audiences as you wish
5. Utilize the slider to establish whether you would like to optimize for Similarity or Reach (it is preferable to use the similarity feature to keep things more targeted)
6. As soon as you hit the “Create Audience” button the audience will appear in your list.
Rocco Baldassarre, Founder & CEO
Rocco consults primarily large businesses with 50k+ employees and trains in-house teams. He is a regular contributor to Entrepreneur, Search Engine Journal, Social Media Examiner and SEMrush. He was shortlisted four times for Young Search Engine Professional of the Year. Click here to learn more